Wednesday, July 31, 2013

54 Trips Around the Sun

Starting out on any endeavor can prove to have a hiccup or two, so goes my foray into the realm of the blogger. So much to do and so little time. My intended daily journal of our 2013 road trip has been, shall we say sporadic at best. Time to catch things up...

Day 7, 8, 9, 10 ~ We rolled in to Morgantown West VA to attend the IAFF Motorcycle Group National Rally which was held in conjunction with the Mountainfest Motorcycle and Music extravaganza. We hold our rally in different locations each year and firefighters from across the U.S. and Canadia come together for a few days of riding, camaraderie, and all around good times. This years rally was dedicated to the memory of Brother Jim Judd who died while riding home from last years rally in Butte Montana.

We had a scare on the first day of our rally when Dave Dobbs had a bit of a mishap that put his bike in the Triple S Harley Davidson shop for some mostly "cosmetic" repairs after Dave had to put his big red baby down hard on the street. Dave also had some "cosmetic" damage done to his person. Mostly road rash but I'm pretty sure I could see the bone in his pinky finger. Dave's "cosmetic" damage won't be quite so easy to repair, that's just the way he looks.

During the rally we took a really cool day ride through the hill country of West VA and also lead the Parade of Motorcycles through downtown Morgantown as the Grand Marshals.
Who doesn't LOVE a parade?

The Mountainfest had all the usual rally things, vendors with all sorts of stuff that you just can't live without, music including Fog Hat, Three Dog Night and Joan Jett, food and scantily clad girls that are the same age as my youngest daughter (put in that context it kinda puts you off but at least they weren't MY daughter) serving ice cold beer... ya know, rally stuff.

All too soon the rally ended and we made the good byes and wished each other safe journeys as we headed back to our respective parts of the continent.

Day 11 ~ Drove 600ish miles through CORN COUNTRY. We saw lots and lots of corn (Ohio, Indiana to Urbana Illinois). Spent the night in a Walmart parking lot.

Day 12 ~ Drove another 600ish miles through CORN COUNTRY. We again saw lots and lots of corn as w ran through Illinois and Iowa before we pulled in to the KOA in Sioux Falls South Dakota.

Day 13 ~ Nice day running across the prairie of South Dakota with a stop at Wall Drug. If you ever find yourself running across I-90 this place is not to be missed. You won't forget because the signs for Wall Drug start popping up on the roadside about 600 miles away.


Other than some over long days on the road through corn country the road trip has been "pretty good alright" with the exception of trying to get the dogs on some sort of schedule with their need for a potty break. We think that when they start farting (Ollie mostly) that the movement is imminent so we pull over and go for a walk-about. More often than not nothing occurs. so off we go again wondering if he's just gonna let loose while on the road.

We made it in to Deadwood for the night. Kristie has declared that she thinks Deadwood is pretty OK.

Day 14 ~ I woke today in Deadwood South Dakota on my 54th birthday WAY TOO EARLY due in large part to all my early rising friends that posted up their Facebook shoutouts wishing me a happy day. I really can't complain since I have become one of those old guys that is up with the sun most every day anyway. Today, just BEFORE sunrise, as I lay in my snug little sleeping loft in Mondo the Magic Bus (our RV) my phone alerted that I had a new message and then another, and another andanotherandanotherandanotherandanother...

Now, my phone usually doesn't go into a manic message mode unless there is a major fire or other incident at the FFD that requires an all hands response to duty. My first thought was that I was missing some good action back home. After about the 20th little whistle that alerts me that I have an incoming text I got out of bed and went downstairs to check my phone. Pretty awesome to have so many people from all across the country wishing me a happy birthday. Thanks all. I also got to talk to my mom and my sister, Liz who called to express their birthday wishes as well.

We are making the run from Deadwood SD to Cody WY where we will spend the night in a post up position for our four day visit to Yellowstone.

Day 15 ~ We took highway 16 (Sweet 16) over the Big Horn Mountains through some pretty spetacular scenary. The gal at the RV park in Cody where we were headed for the night was very concerned that we were going to attempt the drive from Deadwood to Cody in a single day. I'm not sure what she was worried about. Yeah there were some pretty steep climbs and downgrades but Mondo handled things just fine.

Birthday dinner for me in Cody and topped off with a chocolate dipped cone at Dairy Queen as my birthday dessert celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment